Sunday, February 19, 2017

MLAP Intro Part 1: Why is organized labor important to Millenials?

When I talk to my friends about being involved in a union, I get a lot of questions, odd looks, and stories about Jimmy Hoffa. They are generally inquisitive on the subject, but I find myself sometimes tongue-tied when they inevitably ask, "But how is any of that important to me?" Alas, we truly are the "me" generation at times. As a Millennial from the Midwest, blue collar work has always had a place in my life. I am a firefighter/EMT, living in the community I work in. My grandfather worked for Ford Motor Company when he first moved to the Detroit area. When he got hired, the factory supervisor told my grandfather he got the job, then walked him over to the assembly line where he immediately started working.


Unfortunately, the story for Millennials hasn't necessarily followed the same worker-friendly story line that my grandfather enjoyed. We have grown up, for the most part, in a job market that has more job seekers and less actual jobs. This leads to everyone being "replaceable". Right to work is now instituted in 28 states. This leads directly to lower wages, higher workplace injuries, and somewhat surprisingly, a higher infant mortality rate also.....but more on Right To Work later. According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, as of 2016, public sector unions have a 34.4% membership rate. Private sector unions are absolutely decimated though, at just 6.4% membership rate.


So at this point, you're probably wondering why organized labor is important to you. The absolute, number one, top of the line, best quality that a unionized workplace can offer you is.......completely dependant upon the worker! As a firefighter, I appreciate the fact that there are safety standards that the IAFF fights for regarding workplace conditions and cancer. Our cancer rates are up to 105% higher than other occupations, so our union does a great job with education for both employees and employers on the subject. Someone else might argue they like the higher pay than a non-unionized workplace. Another person might like the fact that your boss can't fire you because he or she doesn't like you on a Tuesday. It just depends on the person. Millennials in general seem to support organized labor, they just don't generally belong to unions. I can't help but wonder if that is because they just aren't informed to what organized labor can offer them. So here are a few of the benefits based on scientific studies:
  • Lower job turnover
  • Higher pay rate
  • Safer workplace
  • Reasonable retirement
  • Affordable healthcare
  • "Fair for all" mentality
  • Workplace protection against retaliation/whistleblowing
  • Job quality
  • Employer accountability
A lot of these items would be a great addition to the average millennial who, strapped with an average of 50k student loans, limited job prospects, and high turnover, is finding it difficult to get anywhere near "ahead in life".

Any labor related questions?? Let me know in the comments section!

1 comment: